The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect in the UK from 25 May 2018. It is an essential step forward in enhancing the privacy and security of personal data. The GDPR will be regulated and enforced in the UK by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). Financial services firms will need to consider how the GDPR will apply to them, and ensure that they are ready to comply with the regulations from May 2018.
Here at Countrywide Supplies we welcome the introduction of this regulation. We are fully committed to ensuring our customer data is handled in accordance with the law and personal data is processed in accordance with article 5 of GDPR:
- Processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to individuals;
- Collected for specified, explicit and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes;
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed;
- Accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay;
- Kept in a form which permits identification of data subjects for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed;
- Processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures.